Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Link To The Past

Years and years ago, it seems like half a century, I played in a country dance band called the Mississippi River Boys. We played the dance hall circuit throughout Lanark County as well as the surrounding counties. During the 1970s I penned a number of songs that we used by the band on a regular basis. We still include a couple of these in the Grateful We're Not Dead repertoire as well.

Yesterday I was cleaning out some boxes and came across a couple unlabelled cassette tapes. Out of curiosity I decide to see what was on them and too my surprise I came across one of the songs which I had recorded at home using multi-tracking and over-dubbing on a Dokorder 4-track open reel tape recorder. I guess I had mixed the tracks down to the cassette as a test mix. So I present here with all its glitches and warts, a link to my past. Any messups you hear are wholly attributable to me seeing as I played all parts - guitar, bass, harmonica, vocal, and backup vocal. Just click on the play button to hear it.


I hope that wasn't too painful.

Don

2 comments:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

That's great - good on you for sharing it!

I actually found an old tape from the very first live gig I ever played in, back in 1985, just yesterday! Fond memories, and long times past!

Cyalayta
Mal :)

Keli said...

Not painful at all :) thanks for sharing that, made for a nice glimpse into your past and a nice morning listen.